second hand rose

Today I am joining in a little show and tell and helping Katie krackernuts with her challenge to wear second-hand and op shop purchased clothing and accessories to save money, cut textile waste and reduce the consumption of carbon-emitting fashion product.

The contribution, my thrifted happy day dress and shoes. Most of my favorite possessions had a former life in someone else's home or closet. When I was younger and studying at college there was no consumerists paradise like Primark or Peacocks chucking out disposable clothing to spend my weekly allowance on and Sainsbury's just sold groceries (thankfully), I was an avid charity shop riffler, these days it's more vintage shops and antique stores. The 1970's dress was about £12 from a second hand shop and gold disco shoes were £2!! from a charity shop that supports our local Hospice.

The shoes have a crack in the sole now from too many nights out dancing but I will still hold on to them, how could I not? The dress is still going strong and I pull it out of my wardrobe every summer. The floaty sleeves keep me cool and the bright red colour makes me smile.

The way my budget is heading I am lucky I wear a uniform five days a week and on those treasured days off I will be a happy second hand rose, all summer and well into Autumn.

If you would like to raid your wardrobe and write about your best second hand fashion buys and where you got them, remember to link to Kate's 1 degree op shop challenge in your post.

Hooray for thrift!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...